Saturday, April 08, 2006

Making My Presence Known

March 17, 2006

A week ago tonight I logged into Liberty Hall, requested the flash trigger, wrote my story, and submitted it. When I was done I thought I had a pretty solid story, though I didn’t like the content of the story. Though it got good reviews and great votes, I could never send it out. You, see my story is about how a prostitute made it to her street corner. Being Christian, I just can’t put that stuff out there. I even hate to admit it here. Now before you let your minds run wild, let me tell you there is absolutely no profanity in this story (or any of my others) and there were no detailed scenes. I just don’t want my name attached to something like that.

I know, you’re asking yourself why I wrote it then. Well, let me tell you what the trigger was. Last week’s trigger was, “Write a story from the point of view of a character you find morally reprehensible. The character must be fictional and your own invention. Bonus points if you can make the character sympathetic.” I didn’t go for the bonus points, but some felt sorry for her.

Though content wise I didn’t like my story, I thought I would do well in the voting. This crowd loves dark stories and this one is probably the darkest I have ever written. I’m just not into that kind of stuff. I’m really amazed just how well I did do in the voting. I got: 1 for Best Characterization, 1 for Best Narrative Voice, 0 for Best Dialogue, 2 for Best Hook, and 1 for Best Flash.

Those numbers might not look that impressive, but for me they are fantastic! There were five stories in my group (there were three groups total). Three stories received votes for Best Characterization, mine and another tied for second place and the winner got four votes. Again only three stories received votes for Best Narrative Voice and mine tied for second with the winner getting five votes. I did not earn any dialogue votes because my story had no dialogue. For the category of Best Hook four stories received votes, but mine came in second and the winner had three votes. And for the title every one wants, Best Flash, only two stories received votes, mine which got second and the one that won with six votes. The story that won Best Flash, also won three out of the four remaining categories. So, as you can see my little votes weighed in real big this week.

Too bad that can’t happen to a story I can send out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker