Friday, May 26, 2006

Haruah Photos

I received bad news and good news from Haruah Wednesday before going to church. The bad news was that they were rejecting “Boundary Waters Sunrise” for use as cover art.

The good news is that they were accepting “Spring Marriage” for use as an illustration of the poem “my name.” They emailed me the proof and I ok’d it this morning, so I expect that my picture will be on their site shortly. I do hope that the poem and my illustration makes it into the first issue of Haruah. Right now there are five NoteBoreder’s who are being published in the first issue.

I’m so happy that my picture was accepted. Though I find it funny. I read the poem, “my name,” Thursday morning and that afternoon Dan took Anna and I out for a walk where he and a church man had ran that morning. It was a Catholic park and along some of the trail were benches with rosaries hanging on them. Seeing them reminded me that I was wondering where I would find one to take a picture for the poem. I looked around for a background and finding nothing I liked, I told my husband to take his T-shirt off. Using his maroon t-shirt for a background, I took the rosary off the bench and placed it on the shirt with our wedding rings. After putting everything back, I looked at my picture, but I didn’t like it—it was missing something. As we continued our walk I saw a long-leaved plant and then I knew what I wanted to do. I took a stem of the plant and when we walked back, I tried again. This time I added the green leaves and a few wild flowers to the rosary and wedding rings.

No, I’m not into rosary beads at all. I’m in no way Catholic and Dan isn’t sure about me submitting a picture of it. Maybe I shouldn’t have, but I so wanted to illustrate the poem. I like to take pictures and I remember thinking of becoming a photographer when I grew up. I know that I won’t, but I’ll still take pictures and I’ll continue to send some to Haruah for publication.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker