Thursday, November 02, 2006

Dream Dance-submitted to new magazine

While showing my friend Deanna how to look at accepted stories to illustrate at Haruah, she mentioned that the other magazines under Double-Edge Publishing would be the same way. I got the idea of checking them out and seeing if I could get photos accepted else where.

The first other magazine that looked at was The Sword Review. It mostly is a fantasy magazine with science-fiction as well. It is really difficult to take those kinds of pictures. However, I saw that one of the pictures accepted was a combination of a couple of pictures.

Figuring that I could do something like that, I gave it a try. I used Gimp 2.2. I took the moon out of one of my husband’s pictures and some various pieces of clip art from The Print Shop.

I worked on it some Thursday night and was going to work some more on it over the weekend (but I was out of state—that is another story to be told at another time). I then worked on it Monday night and Tuesday morning. I had never used Gimp, so it was a lot of trail and error.

In the end I came up with an illustration that I liked and submitted to The Sword Review on October 31st. I knew it was the best I could do, but I wasn’t quite sure if the editors would like it.

I got an email back the following day, saying that it was rejected. Though their form letter said that they normally leave comments, I got none. I really wished that they had left something as I would like to know how my very first photo composite went. Now I have no idea what to change for the future.

You might be wondering to yourself why I don’t post my accepted pictures here directly on my website. That is because that if I do, I can’t submit them else where. But since this picture was rejected and I don’t know where else to send it, I’ll post it at my other site (not sure how to post it here).

Please keep in mind that this was my very first attempt at something like this. If you have any comments of any sort, then by all means please post them. I would love to hear from you.

To see my creation, please click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker